The New KD41 Pressure Transducer
With the lowed cost of sensing technology and improved standardized protocols, the benefit of interfacing sensors with digital communication is finally being realized. Standardized protocols such as CANbus allow for direct communication between sensors and electronic control units (ECU). These protocols can help improve overall system efficiency and speed by reducing I/O uncertainties, simplify wiring and help to prioritize signals. They also help to define failure mode signals and error checks.
The standard CANbus protocols have been used as a guide to create higher layered protocols such as CANopen® for industrial automation and SAE J1939 for the automotive industry. These communication protocols are being used in pressure transducers and transmitters to replace traditional analog outputs (like 4-20mA or 0-5Vdc) sensors. Ashcroft’s new KD41 leverages the benefits of CANbus interface by providing options for both CANopen and SAE J1939 protocols.
Ashcroft’s new KD41 pressure transducer also offers key features such as:
- Pressure ranges from 5 psi to 20,000 psi
- An accuracy of +/-0.5% of range standard and +/-0.25% optional
- Media temperatures from -40ºC to 125ºC
- Compact and robust stainless steel design
- IP67 standard and IP69K optional ingress ratings
For SAE J1939 applications the KD41 is defined as an ECU type-1 transducer and is easily set up with:
- External bus termination
- Standard PNG, SPN or Custom parameters
The hardware features for the KD41 CANopen include terminations for standard, split and software enable/disable configurations as well as galvanic isolation. Along with the CANopen standard configuration set (CiA 301 and CiA 404 communication profiles), the KD41 offers additional features such as:
- Configurable transmission speed, or bit rates, from 20kBit/s to 1000kBits/s
- Support for CANopen 2.0A or 2.0B identifiers
- A clamping unit to limit measurement range
- Event-driven measurement transmission
- Configurable Linear Scale Unit (CiA 404) to calculate deviation, integration, polynomial functions or spherical or cylindrical fill grade approximation
Our team of engineering and applications experts is available to answer any questions and help you set up the KD41 to meet your CANbus application. Please contact us today to learn more.